RE: "Where the Red Fern Grows"

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] "Where the Red Fern Grows"
  • From: "Winter, Wim de" Wim.dewinter@wur.nl
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 23:37:04 +0100

Hi Reggie (and John),

The red clubmosses are plentiful at wet places at high altitude (around 4000m)
in Ecuador. I think there are about three common red species, but this one is
the most intensely coloured one. In the Cajas National Park near Cuenca you
find them everywhere at stream sides and valley bottoms, at least where not
the cattle have destroyed the very sensitive, thin peaty soil.

I made rather many pictures of them, for every hour I was struck again by
their unearthy beauty. I hope to show and tell more after a couple off weeks
from now, but for the moment I have write my reports, process 100s of photos,
identify piles of plants, and more such most agreeable, but labour-intensive
jobs..

The Selaginella also comes from Ecuador, at the banks of Rio Topo, close to
where Richard Spruce was stranded in 1857. However, more down to the Amazon
basin they grow even more intricately and larger respectively (well over 2
meter main axis length).

Wim