Re: "Where the Red Fern Grows"

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] "Where the Red Fern Grows"
  • From: "Judith I Jones" judith@fancyfronds.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 17:08:27 -0800

I get several requests a year from customers wanting to plant the "red fern"
who have just lost a much beloved  family dog.  I too believe that this is a
fictional plant but the closest I can some to what it might be is a the
red-flushed form of Onoclea sensibilis but its anybody's guess.  Customers
usually settle for one of the many asian dryopteris with reddish new foliage
or if in a mild (7-9)  zone one of the reddish flushed Blechnum species.
Judith I. Jones
Fancy Fronds