Re: Blechnum fungus

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Blechnum fungus
  • From: "Judith I Jones" judith@fancyfronds.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:52:02 -0800

Hello Scarlatti,
    Frond deterioration on ferns in  the cold greenhouse without ground air
circulation is a common problem here on the west side of the Cascades.  It
can be difficult to judge the right amount of watering one needs to do to
maintain the fern root ball but not deteriorate the foliage.
    I would rather not resort to fungicides so I keep those ferns most
subject to fungal dieback a bit on the dry side.  I use a very open mix,
lots of pumice,  for maximum root ball aeration for those ferns which I know
don't like soggy toes, Polystichums and most xerics.  I have large fans at
each end of the greenhouse which are only turned off in the cold houses when
the temperatures remain below freezing for more than one or two days.  I
remove and cut back any ferns that start to develop dieback.   As a last
resort I alternate a course of Cleary's with a course of Daconil.  I have
tried a mild vinegar solution which didn't bother the Bl;echnum spicant but
did bother some of my European ferns.
    Judith I. Jones