Re: Moss

In John Mickel's Ferns for American Gardens, there is a discussion of
problems with spore growing at the end of Chapter 3.  He states " Mosses
have to be removed with tweezers."  I had a similar problem one time and
followed his advice.  I was able to pick out most of the moss and limit the
spread that way.  Some sporelings were big enough that I was able to pull
the moss from around them and replant.  I was able to get other ferns to
transplant from those growing in areas of clean medium as well as by
removing the moss from around additional sporelings.