Re: Stumperies

A few years ago, we had some cedars destroyed in a wind storm. I made some log planters and one of them got infested with termites. I don't know how frequently this happens, but it is something to look out for. Now I occasionally roll the others sideways a bit and look for the telltale frass. Since both termites and carpenter ants tend to favor soil and wood contact, I also put some landscape cloth beneath the remaining logs. Our home is old. We live in a wet and mild climate, so termites are a great concern.

Cheers, Louise

Corvallis, ORegon, Pacific Northwest US
Cool mediterranean marine, with three-zone span of microclimate

Rock and Woodland Garden pages with 2002 Cascades hikes:
Emerald Chapter, North American Rock Garden Society:
Flying Pages:
'net Admin "Geek Page" for Internet and e-mail help: