Re: Killing Platycerium

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Killing Platycerium
  • From: "Keith Rogers" kerogers@lm.net.au
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:01:19 +0930

Hi Roy and others

It's a bit like the lottery, gotta be in it to win it.

Platys are just the same.

We have a cotton scale here which causes the odd problem, but mostly up in
the tropics.

Do you guys use summer oil and Maldison on these things?

I sit in wonder about you guys over there having problems with P. superbum,
it is one of the easiest, after P. bifurcatum, to grow down here.  Guess we
don't get that cold you get and not as much cold rain!!

So the art is very little moisture in the cold, the same as with the P.
veitchi but a bit more moisture in spring and autumn.

Remember Roy, that P. superbum on a huge rock we saw away in the distance
mile or so away, high up in
the almost Veitchi country.  It was in a very dry area. Val and I often
think back about that trip and
the places we got into.  Was good fun.

Half your luck with the true Philippines P. grande, have got some spore sown
and hopefully it will give us something to get frustrated about.  There are
lots of P. superbum sold here in Aust under the old name of P. grande.

P. wandae does well here, well in Adelaide, there is only one I think.  It
is on my wish list. When I look at my sporelings, like I wish they would
grow quicker than a quarter of an inch every few months.  Another
frustrating time is coming.

Have a small spore grown P.elephantotis, P. holtuumii and a Madagascar P.
alcicorne and a few Aust White and Alcicorne Val Holt all between 2 and 4
inch stage.
They survived winter on the hot box so far and now spring is here and I feel
I have won the lottery.

Another comment on P. hillii, we find the need to punch a hole in upper part
of the tightly closed in shield frond, just below the tip to enable us to
water them properly in the summer. The shield closes in at the top so not to
get overwatered in its natural state.  They are a polyhouse plant in winter
here because of the frosts.

Kindest regards

Keith Rogers
Mannum South Australia

On the web with Keith's Fern Page at

Supporting the Fern Society of South Australia Inc at