Re: Staghorn ferns

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Staghorn ferns
  • From: "mr.fern" mr.fern@bigpond.com
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:51:33 +1100

Hi Doret,
The cost of phytosanitary certificates differs with each country.  It is the
responsibility of the exporter to obtain it prior to the plants leaving the
country rather than the importer.  The plants need to be inspected by a
government official (usually an agriculture or quarantine officer) then the
phytosanitary certificate is issued and the paperwork accompanies the plants
to the new destination.  Often the cost of the government paperwork is many
times more than the cost of the plant itself.  The price can also differ
within the same country due to distance from the inspection service - in our
country they charge extra for mileage and travelling time.  Your local
agricultural department should be able to advise you.  Hope this helps.
Good luck with your collecting.
Rosie
Wyelangta
Australia