Reverse osmosis

  • Subject: [ferns] Reverse osmosis
  • From: John Hawkins <john.hawkins@blechnum.net>
  • Date: 09 Oct 2004 21:48:55 +0200

I've been eyeing up reverse osmosis systems for aquarists as a possible
source of water for my ferns. Has anybody on the list any comments?

I get by most of the year with rainwater I collect in barrels as
tapwater here is a bit hard, but both summertime and wintertime ( when
the barrels come in once they're frozen enough to be rolled ) I run out.
I overwinter most of my ferns in an old pigsty which is relatively cheap
to keep a few degrees above freezing and I do get through a bit of water
as the fan I have going to keep the air circulating dries things out.

Perhaps not a cheap solution, but I'm not likely to need to replace the
membranes in the system very often so it's not going to cost me much in
the long term. I can use the water for film development instead of
buying deionised water and I might even treat my aquarium to some.

cheers, John in Sweden.