(ferns) Polypodium vulgare, summer-deciduous

  • Subject: [ferns] (ferns) Polypodium vulgare, summer-deciduous
  • From: "Brian Swale" <bj@caverock.net.nz>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:31:14 +1200

Hi all,

Another contribution I posted yesterday that never made it to the Digest.
Trying again.

Where I live, on the Port Hills of Christchurch, New Zealand, Polypodium
vulgare is fairly recently new adventitive fern. It grows here on fractured rock
banks in a mist zone that gets quite dry in summer. I also have it growing in

One feature it has that I have seen in only a few other species, is that it is
quite summer-deciduous. In the height of summer, you'd never know it lives

I'm curious to learn what its growth pattern is where it grows naturally.

Brian Swale