Re: (ferns) Spores - Blechnum durum, Doodia aspera

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] (ferns) Spores - Blechnum durum, Doodia aspera
  • From: "Judith I Jones" <judith@fancyfronds.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:02:05 -0700
  • R0c0ed: (from majordomo@localhost) by lorien.mallorn.com (8.11.7/8.11.7) id i8MGfuN29132; Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:41:56 -0500

Hello Brian,
    I do have a plant of Doodia aspera and will see if the spores are not
past on it yet.  Please send you mailing address off line to
Judith@fancyfronds.com.
    Polypodium vulgare is winter evergreen and late spring early summer
deciduous here in the Pacific Northwest but it flushes earlier in the summer
than P. cambricum (australe) and our own native P. glycyrrhiza. P. x
mantoniae (vulgare x interjectum, which is itself a fertile hybrid of
vulgare x australe) seems to cling to its fronds and does not dehisce them
as readily between flushes here in our climate.   P. californicum and
calirhiza (californicum x glycyrrhiza) also have a summer dormant period
that falls a bit earlier due to the mild winter and drier spring in the
coastal western US.
Judith I. Jones