RE: Spore sieve(s) / spore refrigerator / digital pH meter.

Hello Sue,

Thank you for your reply!

My spore technique so far has been "panning" for spore using a clean white
sheet of paper with a crease down the length of it, and then trying to keep
the spore in the crease and tap the unwanted material off of the edges of
the paper. This works well for small species, and in most cases it has been
fairly easy to separate the spore if there is not a substantial amount of
chaff. I haven't tried using camera lens cleaning tissue yet, but I most
certainly will!

However, last year someone was kind enough to give me three large fronds
from their Cyathea cooperi, as I wanted the spore to donate to fern
societies, etc. Anyway, it took me the best part of a day to try separating
the spore from the chaff, and after a lot of work I certainly ended up with
a large amount of spore but it was not as clean as I would have liked. So
next time around I will try using a sieve for tree fern spore first.

Everyone seems to be using their regular home refrigerator for storing their

My question would be how do you deal with the humidity? Is it sufficient to
seal the spore in say zip-lock bag placed in an air tight container?

There is also the danger that my 'Cyathea rather-rareii' will be thrown out
with last week's cilantro :-)

My wife is not particularly happy with the beneficial nematodes which have
taken up residence in the fridge....

I'm still looking into the digital pH meter. Affordable ones certainly
exist, but so far none with a soil probe as far as I can tell.