Re: watering practices

Josh and Jim,
You both raise good points about watering.  Personally, I did not agree
with the article either, just brought it up to see what others thought.
Even if their results could be transferred for us to our in-ground gardens,
who the heck wants to water their garden 3 times a day, every day?

Watering in the morning vs afternoon usually limits evaporation.  Watering
later in the day, can cause fungal problems as water on plants' leaves
doesn't have time to dry.  As Jim's photos have shown his watering at night
poses no problems whatsoever, but possibly because his system doesn't get
much water on the leaves.

Kitty

whether
> > that root zone is in a pot or the ground or, for that matter, crawling
up
> > tree is not terribly important. what's important is whether it works
[that
> > is, the plants thrive] according to the perception of the grower.
> >
> > At 06:52 PM 4/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Kitty,
> > >
> > >          I finally got around to reading the AG article you mentioned
> last
> > >week.  Two thoughts:
> > >
> > >         I think it again demonstrates the importance of empirical
> testing.  A
> > >priori philosophizing about gardening just doesn't get it done.
Previous
> > >explanations of why watering in the morning was best certainly sounded
> > >reasonable, but are proven wrong.  The results of 60-70% better plant
> growth
> > >are certainly dramatic, and demonstrate the value of controlled tests.
> > >Gardening is rampant with examples of misguided advice that previously
> > >appeared to make sense.  The practice of covering pruning cuts with
wound
> > >dressing is a perfect example.  A chemical covering that would keep
> insects
> > >and pathogens out while the wound healed sounded quite sensible.  But
> when it
> > >was discovered that the practice seriously slowed the healing process,
> the
> > >practice was discarded.
> > >
> > >         Which leads me to me second thought: How can Warren say "home
> > >gardeners should benefit from switching to afternoon watering, too"?
His