confederate jasmine, chocolate pudding, and stuff

donna has once again been kind enough to post my pictures. this time it's the confederate jasmine [trachlospermum jasminoides] covered pine tree. i'm quite pleased with this display. i have similar ones working on the two trees adjacent to this one--including one with a variegated confederate jasmine--and two more in the back yard. http://illianagardenpond.org/jimsphotos.htm

our spring is in full glory right now. the jacaranda and royal poinciana trees are in full bloom, as are the bougainvilleas, ixoras, gerberas, geraniums, begonias, hibiscuses, allamandas, jatrophas, and all the bedding plants that survive here--petunias, marigolds, impatiens, among others. and the caladiums, which died back only a month or two ago, are poking leaves up everywhere.

my yard man--charles wayne babcock, fondly known as chuckie--and his lovely wife, juanita, were here yesterday. among the many things they did was prune up the king sago. the king has always had one pup, but now that chuck has removed the old fronds, we have discovered that it has two more pups. so it's going to be a four-stem clump in a few years, and i find that exciting.

juanita limbed up the black sapote seedling, and that's when we discovered it had set fruit for the first time. for those who do not know the black sapote, it's a mexican relative of our native persimmon. a very handsome tree with large glossy dark green leaves.

it is also called the "chocolate pudding" tree because the fruit, which look somewhat like avocados on the outside, contain a soft, milk-chocolate colored and pudding-textured flesh that is sweet and quite tasty. it does not taste like chocolate, but it has that same kind of dark intoxicating taste [controlling words] that chocolate has. anyway, i'm happy it has set fruit. it is a 4-year-old seedling, started from a seed i picked up at marie selby botanical garden.