Re: Indian spice

How about this: Murraya koenigii

I just ordered some for our herb garden from Well-Sweep.
Here it is called Curry Leaf.

Indian names: karepaku (Andhra Pradesh); narasingha, bishahari (Assam);
barsanga, kartaphulli (Bengal); gorenimb, kadhilimbdo (Gujrat); mitha neem,
gandhla, gandhela, gandhelu (Himachal Pradesh); kathnim, mitha neem, kurry
patta gandhela, barsanga (Hindi); karibeva (Karnataka); kariveppilei
(Kerala); gandhela, gandla, gani (Kumaon); bassan, basango, bhursanga
(Orissa); surabhinimba, kalasaka, mahanimb (Sanskrit); karivempu,
karuveppilei (Tamilnadu)

 It can be found in evergreen and deciduous forests of peninsular India,
often as underwood.  The shrub is of common occurrence in Himachal Pradesh
in areas lying between 800 and 1,450 metres above the sea level. Almost
every part of this plant has a strong characteristic odour. The people of
the plains, particularly of southern India, use the leaves of this plant as
a spice in different curry preparations.

A small spreading shrub, about 2.5 metres high; the main stem, dark green
to brownish, with numerous dots on it; its bark can be peeled off
longitudinally, exposing the white wood underneath; the girth of the main
stem is 16 cm.

Leaves, exstipulate, bipinnately compound, 30 cm long, each bearing 24
leaflets, having reticulate venation; leaflets, lanceolate, 4.9 cm long,
1.8 cm broad, having 0.5-cm-long petiole.

Flowers, bisexual, white, funnel-shaped, sweetly scented, stalked,
complete, ebracteate, regular, actinomorphic, pentamerous, hypogynous, the
average diameter of a fully opened flower being 1.12 cm; inflorescence, a
terminal cyme, each bearing 60 to 90 flowers; calyx, 5-lobed, persistent,
inferior, green; corolla, white, polypetalous, inferior, with 5 petals,
lanceolate; length, 5 mm; androecium, polyandrous, inferior, with 10
stamens, dorsifixed, arranged into circles of five each; smaller stamens, 4
mm. long whereas the longer ones, 5 to 6 mm; gynoecium, 5 to 6 mm long;
stigma, bright, sticky; style, short; ovary, superior.

Fruits, round to oblong, 1.4 to 1.6 cm long, 1 to 1.2 cm in diameter;
weight, 880 mg; volume, 895 microlitres; fully ripe fruits, black with a
very shining surface; pulp, Wistaria blue 640/2; the number of fruits per
cluster varying from 32 to 80.

Seed, one in each fruit, 11 mm long, 8 mm in diameter, colour spinach green
0960/3; weight, 445 mg; volume, 460 microlitres.