Re: Re: Japanese Hepaticas

Not Marge, but...Hepaticas like partial shade, and, whereas that is subject
to interpretation, it sort of rules out "full sun at high summer mid-day".
When I planted mine they were happy for several years but have declined a
bit since.  I think that's because they now get too much shade.  Hostas
grow up over them and they are deep under a Maple.  They apparently don't
transplant well, but I think I'm going to have to try.  As Marge said, they
like a humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil.  AHS says they thrive in heavy
soils of neutral to alkaline pH.