Re: ammonian sulfate

> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
> Hi, Scottie's question about yellowing leaves reminds me of a
question I
> have for the braintrust on this list.  I'm sure that most of you
> heard of using ammonia sulfate on lawns to green them up.  Why does
> work?  What does it do?  Does it work on other plants besides

Ammonia sulfate is a very high nitrogen (like 21-0-0), highly acid
fertilizer.  The high nitrogen content is what would green up a lawn
as nitrogen encourages foliage growth.  It is not a well balanced
fertilizer; encouraging leaf growth at the expense of root growth.  I
sure wouldn't use it on any other plants, myself...doubt I'd use it
on the lawn, either:-)  I've read that if you really needed to green
up a lawn for some party or wedding or other affair, it could be used
without drastic consequences but you'd really need to go back and
feed with something more balanced for long term turf health.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :