Tropiflora Spring Extravaganza

Today was Tropiflora's annual Spring "event." This year, it was bigger, more ambitious than ever. Maybe a dozen huge greenhouses loaded with bromeliads, orchids, fat plants, succulents, and just plain odd-ball stuff at bargain prices. All that, plus another 20 or so other plant venders [some of whom are direct competitors to Tropiflora] with booths, guys selling pulled-pork bar-b-cue, calypso musicians playing steel drums, and old guys [like moi] shuttling customers with their plant purchases back to their vehicles in golf carts. At least four tropical fruit growers, including two from Florida's east coast, were there. It was a true plant carnival.

And the weather was perfect. Mid -70s, not humid, slight breeze. "Now I know why I live here," the short one said without prompting. She came home from a week in Massachusetts yesterday.

One of the more interesting plants we bought was [NOREEN] an ant plant--a Bull's Horn Acacia [Acacia sphaerocephala Chamisso]. Here's a picture and some fascinating lore.

http://www.killerplants.com/plant-of-the-week/20020204.asp

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10