Re: Lots of questions...need help re lilies & peonies especially...

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Lots of questions...need help re lilies & peonies especially...
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 23:19:55 -0400

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> As to selling potted bareroot peonies in spring at the greenhouse,
this has
> probably evolved because no matter how many times you tell people
about fall
> planting, they think of peonies in spring and ask for them.  So the
> intelligent nursery owner finds a way to respond.  I'd guess that a
> root process was developed specifically to meet the market demand.

I'm sure you are correct and spring sales are the result of people
wanting peonies then.  But, what enabled this was developments in the
refrigeration of plants to hold them - working out the right
temperatures so they aren't too warm or too cold.  Scads of hardy
plants are held this way now-a-days and sold bare root in spring (or
sold bare root to nurseries and greenhouses who pot them up for sale
to customers).

I have no idea who was responsible for figuring this out nor when,
but I think it's relatively recent - like within the past 20 or 30
years; maybe less.  Bulbs are held this way and it may be that the
Dutch worked out the best way to do it for bulbs and that work just
got transferred to perennials and woody plants.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :