Re: Bulls horn acacia

Right, Marge. Thorns in the extreme. Kinda strange to grow a plant for its thorns, isn't it?

On Tuesday, April 6, 2004, at 11:51 PM, Marge Talt wrote:

Lordy, Jim, but that's an awesome baby.  Looks like it could do some
damage even at a young age...an adult must be something else!  I am
assuming those most interesting 'horns' are actually thorns of some
type?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>

Here's a link to a picture of my newly acquired bulls-horn acacia
[Acacia sphaerocephala]. It shows the horns a bit more distinctly
than
the photo at the other site did. They look like they ought to be
part
of some Chinese ivory carving.

http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/38737/

One of the architects at work told me that when he landscaped one
of
the estates on St. Armand's Key a couple of years ago, he went to
great
lengths to save a full grown bulls-horn--pruned it out, limbed it
up,
planted an understory to call attention to it, and so on. He said
the
last time he went back to the house, he learned the owner had had
her
maintenance folks cut it down and haul it away.

Oh well, not a plant for everyone, I guess.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10

http://www.hort.net/funds/