Re: devoured daylily

> From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
> The #@*!! deer ate my newest daylily down to about 4" above the
soil.
> Will it produce new leaves? Bloom?
> They were probably delighted to have an alternative to the yucca,
which
> they ate last year.
----------

It should leaf out again and bloom, or at least leaf out again...if
it's not established, it might not bloom and if it's some fantastic
new cultivar, I don't know how tough it will be.  Deer adore
daylilies...high on their list of favs.  I've got H. fulva - the
common orange one - lining the driveway.  They're tough as old boots.
 Inside the deer fence they're about a foot tall; outside they are
nubbins, but they always come back and  the ones getting enough light
will try to bloom.

Unfortunately, daylily flower buds are even higher on bambi's list of
gourmet treats than emerging foliage.  Usually the deer hit the new
daylily growth and then let them grow and come back when they set
buds and get the buds just before they're ready to open.

If you want that daylily, I'd put a fence around it with net on top
so they can't just stick their heads in to munch...give the poor
plant a chance to establish.

Now, your deer must really be hungry; my herd never touched my yucca.
 Eating that proves they'll eat anything - a tougher, stringier less
appetizing leaf I can't imagine; you can't even pull off old leaves -
have to cut them...Lordy!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade