Re: Daffodil question

Auralie,
I can't really answer your question, but a few points from your message
caught my eye.

What do you mean by "modern" daffodils?  circa?
Park staff and volunteers may have planted the ones you've seen recently.
They may have deliberately, carefully naturalized the bulbs, making an
effort toward the least amount of disturbance so that the new plantings
would not appear 'cultivated'.
You may have simply visited in the past at a time that these 'new' ones
weren't in bloom.
Miniature Trumpets - like 'Little Gem' and 'Little Spell' might look like
small 'King Alfred's

Re spread: from Michael Jefferson-Brown's "Narcissus":
Species Narcissi depend on seed for increase.  Hybrids, with mixed genetic
material, do not breed true.  N. triandrus, for example is almost
exclusively dependent on seed for its increase, spread and survival...Pods
may have 50-100 seeds...a clump has the potential to instigate a population
explosion.  Rates of survival in the wild must be low. To find a stand of a
species not freely seeding suggests that it is the result of a single clone
spread by cultivation or by shifting mountain soils or the scrambling feet
of goat or sheep...Clones of wild daffodils are to a degree inhibited from
setting seed by their own pollen.  Pollination by another clone of their
species helps...

Just some notes, not an answer, but interesting.
Kitty