Re: Daffodil question

Well, Auralie, many types will seed around if allowed to do so.  Some
of mine do this an some don't - I supposed it has to do with the
original breeding tho' I've got one spot with 'Ice Follies' seeding
around and spreading nicely and it's a really rough bit, woody weedy
with ivy under trees, but they're moving out steadily.  I started
with quite a few bulbs there, but over the past 10 years or so,
they've about doubled, I think.  And, the odd thing is that I just
noticed today while out cutting some for a bouquet, that some of them
are coming up with yellow trumpets - it's a clone that  is pure white
with a ruffled trumpet; now I have some with pale yellow trumpets and
a few with quite dark yellow - all ruffled.  Never noticed this

Daffs are really persistent - again, the older clones; I think some
of the newer ones are not as tough and the older ones also seem to
put up with more shade than the 'special' newer sorts.  I've got them
in spots with lots of shade growing up through ivy, Vinca and
Pachysandra in fairly rotten clay soil.  In a sandy soil, expect
they'd spread faster.

I also have quite a few 'clumps' (loose use of the word) that I
really need to divide as they are not blooming as well as they used
to on account of being crowded.

I don't think that critters are moving the bulbs around where you saw
them; probably been seeding there for 50 years or more.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> Marge, I will address this to you since you are geographically the
nearest to
> the area in question, though I invite anyone's opinion.  We just
> from a much-needed week of birding at Bombay Hook and Chincoteague.
 Spring was
> not as far advanced as we had hoped or expected, or as our notes of
> trips indicated that it had been in other years.  However we did
happen on one
> unusual sight (site, too).  The Bombay Hook National Wildlife
Refuge lies to
> the east of Dover, Delaware, and is a large area of marshes and
> interspersed with fields and woods. Adjoining the refuge is Allee
House, an
> eighteenth century farmhouse that has been either restored or
preserved.  Since it is
> open to the public only on weekend afternoons, and we always
schedule our trips
> during to week, we have never been able to visit it.  However,
there is a
> back road from the edge of the refuge to the house that offers
> birding territory so we always take at least one run down that way.
 Several years