Re: Daffodil question

In a message dated 04/12/2004 5:59:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> I don't think that critters are moving the bulbs around where you saw
> them; probably been seeding there for 50 years or more.

I'm sure that's the answer, Marge.  I guess mine have never reseeded because
I don't give them the chance.  My 'Ice Follies' have never spread anyway.  I
guess they are not in a good spot, since other varieties have increased
mightily.  Maybe I'll try some of them in another spot next year.
 Unfortunately the ones that have increased most vigorously in my garden are
unnamed.  When we moved here in 1970 I bought a special offer mix from Park's
- something like 25 for $10.00 - really cheap but not named. In those days I
was definitely short of cash, and trying to build a garden.  The importance of
names did not occur to me then. Most of them were quite handsome, and are
still doing well, but one has spread most vigorously.  It is a quite large cream
colored bloom with a small orange cup - very pretty - but now that I know what
to look for in daffs I realize that they are not show-quality.  I have picked
more than 50 stems of them at a time without ever finding a perfect
show-quality bloom.  I love them anyway.
Thanks, Auralie