RE: newspaper and - or straw

Probably should read all the days posts before responding.... but...

Did you wet the paper? How dry of a winter did you have? I do this in
the fall and by spring time, the garden area is good to go... and no
paper in sight.

Can't help you with the straw. One year I did cover some tender stuff,
and then tried mulching it in the spring... turned out to be a royal
mess... never again!