Re: Daffodil question

In a message dated 04/12/2004 10:47:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

> I don't know who developed your N. 'Mrs. R.O.Backhouse', whether it was
> herself or her son.

Found an old copy of "Daffodils to Show and Grow" - can't think where my
recent one has got to.    This publication of the American Daffodil Society lists
Mrs. R. O. herself as the breeder in 1923. She is also listed as the breeder
of 'Mrs.Nette O. Melvin' in 1928.  A quick scan of a few pages did not reveal
any more of hers, but I did spot 'Barrii' and 'Barrii Conspicuous' by William
Backhouse, both dated 1884, and 'Auriga' by W. O. Backhouse in 1967, so
obviously the dynasty continues.  I didn't spot any credited to Mr. R.O.B., but this
book lists 149 pages of daffs and I only scanned a few pages so he is probably
there too.