Re: Money-Makin' Time!

In a message dated 04/14/2004 8:30:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

> Once someone does this sort of sale successfully, the word gets around and
> think there are others like mine around town.  Last fall a woman on the
> other end of town said a friend had told her about my sale and she called me
> and asked for pointers on how to do it.

Garden Clubs have plant sales around here, but they usually go to a nursery
and order flats of seedlings.  There are two organizations my DH is involved
with that have large plant sales in the spring - sometimes on competing dates,
though he has tried to encourage them to avoid that.  The   competition is
interesting to me - I try to stay out of the politics of both groups.  The Teatown
Nature Center has a huge plant sale at a park in Croton with a preview event
for members.  They feature all the popular sorts of annuals - impatiens,
petunias, marigolds, etc. with some interesting stuff but mostly standards.  This
is a major fundraiser for the organization - they make many thousands of
dollars each year.  The Friends of Lasdon Park & Arboretum also has a big plant
sale, but the controlling group here are Master Gardeners who look down their
noses at the common stuff.  They also order in much stuff from nurseries, but
their list is all unusual and specialty stuff, and pretty pricey.  The turn-out
for this sale is pretty good, and a lot of stuff is sold, but the profit is
usually in the vicinity of $5,000 or less and some of those involved are saying
it's too much work for so little profit.  As I said, I try to stay out of the
politics.  DH is on the board of both organizations, and I just pick up the
pieces and listen.
Auralie