Huntsville Botanical Garden

The Huntsville Botanical Garden was truly amazing.  They have several hundred
acres adjacent to Red Stone Arsenal and have developed all but 127 acres
according to our guide, who was the CEO of the garden.  Guess MG's do get special
treatment around here, at least when we go as a group.  There were 16 of us
who made the 3 hour trip.  One of the most interesting displays was the use of
Swiss chard in their hanging baskets and planters.  They combined red-stemmed
chard with red geraniums and dark nasturtiums and yellow-stemmed chard, with
which I was not familiar, with yellow flowers and lighter colored nasturtiums.
The effect was beautiful.  The theme of the gardens at this time of the year
was different kinds of beds.  They had used real bedsteads that were filled
with all kinds of flowers and topiaried animals, and they were very impressive.
Another area was the cedar grove with many very old Eastern red cedars and
native azaleas.  Another area had been turned into a beautiful, very large, water
garden.  A pair of Canada geese had chosen that section to start their
family.  The female was sitting on her eggs in the middle of the flowers bordering a
stone path while the male strutted around as if patrolling the area.  The
female hissed at us the entire time we were their.  The section devoted to
Alabama wild flowers was beautiful as well.  They had about two dozen kinds of
trillium of all different sizes.  The tour took about two hours.  I would really
like to go back later in the summer when their 800 cultivars of day lilies are
in bloom and I could also visit their cottage garden and their herb garden.  We
saw an amazing native tree the guide referred to as a flowering apricot whose
seed pods looked like apricots, but obviously were not.  I wish I had asked
him the botanical name for it.  They also had some very large Chinese fringe
trees which were truly beautiful.  They had many cultivars of viburnum, among
which was a Viburnum macrocephalum with flowers about 10 inches in diameter.  I
would love to have one of those, too. <LOL> I think I mentioned in an earlier
post that their black haw was in full bloom as well.  We finished our tour
with the flower show of the Federated Garden Clubs of Huntsville and saw some
really intricate arrangements.  I especially enjoyed the miniatures.  It was a
great day, and I do look forward to going back there sometime.  They do have a
website, www.hsvbg.com.

zem
Zone 7
West TN