From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:52:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] shade/bog  gardening

Melody,<br>I don't know anything about bogs - Marge or others will reply
on that.<br>When you say the area floods, how long does the water stand?
I had a<br>problem like that, with no place to run the water to. So
instead of a bog,<br>I dug a drywell - actually 2 of them, one at each
back corner of the house<br>where the downspouts release. They are about
4x4x4 ft. One is filled with<br>broken pots and rebar, the other with a
coiled, flexible drainage hose.<br>These handle the water until it can
be dispersed by natural drainage.<br><br>I'm curious - how do lilacs
Message ----- <br>From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 4:06
help for a friend's yard...It is his mother's house<br>> which now that
she has retired and moved south, he has<br>> "inherited"...with one
giant problem...Mom was a huge gardener and he is<br>> not. So now he is
faced with the upkeep of an extensive shade garden<br>> collection that
he neither knows nor really cares about, but to keep his<br>> mom happy
when she visits every so often, he would like to do something<br>> with
it while simplifying the work. She was really into hostas in a big<br>>
way and they are everywhere. Also tons and tons of lily of the
valley<br>> that are spreading like wildfire, even where he doesn't want
them<br>> (Kitty...who knew? Sorry!) So, I've agreed to help him revamp
all of<br>> those things, but our biggest problem proves to be one of
drainage...he<br>> has an area in his yard to which he runs a drainage
pipe for rainwater<br>> from his roof that in heavy rains, runs across
his yard and floods his<br>> neighbors yard in the corner where the two
meet...It's a heavily shaded<br>> area that contains mostly a beautiful
collection of lilac trees, a few<br>> hosta and lily of the
valley...would the creation of a boggy area there<br>> with cinder block
and plastic l

iner a) be enough to contain the water so<br>> it doesn't flood the
neighbors and b) be damaging to the lilacs in any<br>> way? Also, what
(Z 5/4)<br>><br>> "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal on the

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com