Re: Re: temperatures and hardiness

Right you are Andrea.  I've also discovered that if a plant does
marvelously well in the PNW or Minnesota, the chances are pretty fair
that it ain't a gonna like my summers.  Sometimes, after much
research and hemming and hawing, I'll go ahead and try it from pure
plant lust.  Sometimes I'm lucky and lotsa times I am not....

If I could remember the climate in the various parts of Japan and
Korea, it would be a lot easier to figure out if some of the marvy
plants out there are going to take our summers - but I cannot and
never seem to be able to find the info. when I'm in mad plant order
mode.  Many, many plants from those countries do well here, but some
from the cooler portions do not - same with China.  It's a toss up,
really...plants from higher elevations will take our winters,  but
often not our summers. while the ones from lower elevations in the
far east handle summer fine and freeze to death come winter.  And,
sometimes it's just a matter of finding a spot they like - plants
have minds of their own; they do not read books and don't give a fig
for our zone designations; either hot or cold;-)

Just about anything from the continental part of central Europe will
survive here - tho' the elevation of their native home does make a
difference.  Coastal plants from the Med. are very iffy, while those
found at higher elevations around the Mediterranean will do fine if
they don't require a dry winter.

I sometimes think that being a gardener is not about growing plants,
but about killing them....I seem to do that very well, indeed!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :