Re: Re: Wholesale Suppliers

Forgot that, sorry.

On Friday, April 30, 2004, at 05:52 PM, Kitty wrote:

Plastic needs to be watered less frequently than TC, too. Is there a reason
you MUST have clay? Personally I find TC a heavy pain in the patoot, even
if it does have a classic appearance.
Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Wholesale Suppliers

Don't know where you'll find small terra cotta pots these days, Jesse.
Most growers who grow in small pots, grow in 4-1/2" plastic pots. Much,
much cheaper [I know, "and they look like it"] and they don't break. 10
percent breakage in shipments of clay pots is probably not an
exaggeration.

There are plastic trays [flats] that are designed to hold 18 4'1/2"
plastic pots, which is more or less the commercial standard.

I imagine it's all marketing. An annual in a 4-1/2" pot is large enough
to sell for $2.50--and it's only a month older than an annual in a 2"
pot that will only fetch $1.00.

You might consider visiting all the nursery/florist supply houses in
your nearest big city and check out your options. They may not carry
clay pots but they probably know where to special order them.

I would also advise, when you're visiting the supply houses, to try to
learn what the local commercial standards are. I wrote above that there
is an 18-pot flat; well there's also a 24-pot flat floating around [use
discontinued in south Florida].