Well, this weekend...

I actually got something done in my own garden this weekend along with plant
peeping. A friend and I worked up a schedule to visit botanical gardens on
our Fridays off, which turns out to be really getting me into a time crunch.
I didn't realize how many chores I used to get done at home on those days -
felt like I was goofing off most of the time. But now that I know someone to
go with I hate to give it up. Hubby will go, if pressed, but spends a lot of
time sighing and saying "yes dear, that's very nice" (like I do in the tool
store).
So anyway this Friday we went to Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden, which is
a nice little place showcasing native California plants. The garden is very
pleasing although as usual I couldn't find labels on some things I was
really interested in. I bought a few plants - salvia clevelandii,
zauschneria californica, bush poppy (dendromecon rigida), blue-eyed grass
(Sisyrinchium bellum), and iris douglasiana, and got them planted. I'm
thinking I want to find some matilija poppy but I'm not sure where to put it
- if it's happy, it spreads like anything. I also was thinking about trying
fremontodendron but again, need a place to put it. I doubt it would get as
big in my yard as the specimens I saw, but they are much bigger than I
expected.
Other chores kept us away from home Saturday but on Sunday I went hiking in
the morning, got the lawns mowed, my pond cleaned up a bit, and planted some
tomatoes. I would have liked to put in the rest of the vegetable garden, but
hubby was away and I can't start the rototiller by myself. No doubt I
wouldn't have had time anyway after tilling because the weather turned windy
and nasty as the afternoon wore on so I quit and went inside. I am very
grateful for daylight savings time, now I can get stuff done after work if
the wind will only stay below 30mph or so.
I have some more wildflower pictures, if you can bear it - these have been
taken over the last month or so and are all within a few miles of my house.
Click on the Antelope Valley folder.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gardencatalogs/my_photos.  This should be the
end of the wildflower pictures, unless something spectacular shows up.

Cyndi