Re: Iris

I'm home now and checked A2Z which says Z6-9, so I checked the internet and
found all sorts of differing zone numbers.  So I got out my "Gardener's Iris
Book" which says of Louisiana Iris, botanically known as Series Hexagonae:
"While hardiness can be variable, most of the garden varieties, and
certainly the species I brevicaulis and I fulva, are cold hardy to at least
Zone 6."  [There are 5 species, those two plus I hexagona, I
giganticaerulea, and I nelsonii]  "Some varieties, even though of southern
origin, have successfully been grown in the awesome Zone 5 climate of South
Dakota!"

So I suppose their survival may depend on which ones you have.  Also, this
book mentions they require moist acidic soils and can grow in standing
water.  "The soils in which they are usually found are rich in organic muck
and were mostly heavy clays to begin with (an exception is I hexagona, which
does well in sand).  Acid pH is indicated by the tea-colored waters of the
southern swamps and bogs....the key is the incorporation of abundant organic
matter...For enthusiasts who want to grow LA Irises in regions where soils
are dry and alkaline, the solution may be an acid bed....Spring planting
works best in the North...rhizomes must not be exposed on the surface [as
for bearded Iris], but should be planted from 1-3 inches deep....mulching is
absolutely vital...summer mulch of 3 inches; winter mulch of 8 to 10 inches
in the North, removed in spring as soon as shoots emerge."

Kitty
neIN, Z5