today in zone 7

 My gardening jeans would be a great test of one of those laundry products
that claims to get EVERYTHING out!  Between walking on my knees and dragging
myself around on my derrihre, I've ground in the mud and grass stains really
well!  I'm soaking the jeans in Oxi-clean now.  We'll see...  Yesterday I
spent clearing leaves and dead foliage from a bunch of beds, but today I
fought a losing battle with bittercress, Cardamine hirsuta
http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?bittercress . I'm trying to pull
it out before it goes to seed.  It has these seeds that fly all over the
place at the slightest touch!  It's invading my so called "lawn" but I'm
trying to keep it out of the formal beds.  So, I pulled every clump and
miniscule piece that I could from the beds and adjacent areas.  I can barely
type as my whole body feels like I've been wrestling an alligator all day!

While face to face with the "lawn', I realized how little grass I actually
have in some areas!  The most comfortable places to weed were where a lovely
cushion of moss has about overcome the grass.  Must have been all that rain!
Then there are some virtual fields of clover and other weeds!  I really have
never paid any attention to the lawn in 20 years, but maybe it's time for
some lime or other remedy.  I'm not fond of using chemicals, so I'm confused
as to how I can get rid of the bad stuff.  Oh yeah, some of  ivy which is
covering an acre has appeared in a few places in the middle of the lawn!
I'm trying to get rid of the ivy and now it's appearing in new places! Woe
is me!

As I worked I took note of how the daylilies were doing. So far everyone's
accounted for, thank goodness.  I really should record the number of fans in
each clump NOW while I can see them clearly. I found one daylily without
it's garden label.  Some detective work is needed! I noticed where some
plants, like lysimachia ciliata purpurea, are overrunning one area, while
rudbeckia laciniata is eating up another bed.  I love these two plants, but
they are hard to keep in bounds.

The daffodils are starting to bloom, but most of my hosta haven't appeared
as of yet.  This late emergence always gets me worried. It looks like there
is so much planting space in the garden right now, but in a short time there
will be no bare ground!

By the look of my fingernails, spring has arrived!

Chris
Long Island, NY
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)