Re: Gourds

james singer wrote:
I've got a seedling bottle gourd growing in a 1-gallon pot in the lathhouse; it is just beginning to produce secondary leaves. And I need advice. I want to plant it somewhere so it will produce a bottle or three, but I have no idea what it wants, including whether it needs to go in the ground or can stay in a large pot [say, 15 gallon]. I know it may run all over hell's halfacre no matter where it's planted, but that's okay--I've got the room. But does it want/need to climb?

Island Jim
My sister grows gourds of various sizes & types in Sarasota. She
grows them in an open field, some on fences, some not. Doesn't seem
to matter. I recall she may set some large ones on rocks to keep them from
rot in the rains.
-jrf
--
Jim Fisher