From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:17 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Weather/Irrigation

I don't know much about irrigation anywhere except here, where the soil
is sandy, and the central valley of California, where the soil is gumbo
adobe. In central valley California, drip irrigation is terrific, the
slow drip soaks into and throughout the dense adobe, spreading moisture
in a large circle around each emitter. In our sandy soil, emitter drips
do not spread; they go straight down. So we use micro-sprayers, devices
that put out a circle of spray. The area of coverage is about the same,
given the difference in soil texture.

Here--and I don't know this about the central valley of California--we
have rain sensors, devices that measure rainfall and override the
irrigation controller. Turns off irrigation when it rains, turns on
irrigation when it doesn't. But I'm sure this is not a sandy-soil
gizmo; RainBird [John Deere] is smart enough to have one, or settings
for one, for any soil type.

Beats dragging hoses.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida