Re: Hmmm...Weather...Plant Swap...I won?

Here's a pic of Osteospermum Symphony Vanilla - I think this is the one I
Here's another called O. Tradewinds Expt White & Blue
You mentioned yours was a new variety, so it may look a little different.
In my experience these are thirsty plants even though they have thick
leaves.  I propagate by just pinching off a short cutting, stripping the
bottom leaves, dip in rooting hormone, and inserting into a moist
perlite/vermiculite mix in a sweater box.  The first time I tried I made the
cuttings too long and the tips browned out.  Then I saw someone in a nursery
doing it with just the tips, so I tried it and they root nicely in 2-3
weeks.  If you do this in fall, the little cuttings will be full size plants
by April, just remember to pinch to encourage branching.  The first year I
brought the whole large plant in in the fall, about 18 in by 18 in and cut
it back a bit.  When I planted it out the next spring, by fall it grew to a
mammoth 3 ft x 3 ft.  That's when I realized cuttings would be the smarter
way to go.

Here's a propagation/cultivation sheet on Osteospermum, but it is written
more from a nursery's point of view:

I also found the following re their water needs:
"To grow flourishing Osteospermums, it is imperative that they are given a
very free-draining situation; they have little tolerance for continuously
damp or saturated soil. Their native, mountainous habitat is a good
indicator of the conditions to which they have successfully adapted. In
Cumbria, they thrive in containers and raised beds, but if grown in a
border, it is a good idea to break up the soil before planting and add some
handfuls of grit to ensure they have the best chance of survival."

neIN, Z5