Re: blue heron fiasco

I think it is mainly a matter of knowing who to call.  Understandably, the
boy's parents called animal control - which I knew wouldn't be able to
handle it.  But as a city agency, animal control should know the correct
procedures, as should the fire dept, and DNR.  My first thought would be the
area wildlife refuge people.  We have organizations that handle endangered
species like Peregrin Falcons.  These people would know how to act more
quickly and might even have easy access to authorization for handling the
bird.

Donna wrote "They are also very mean and dangerous, especially when
hurt", and yes, I've read that.  Still, properly trained people, with
tranquilizers should be able to handle it.  I imagine that poor little kid
seeing this in his dreams at night.  And worse yet, I imagine the horrible
ordeal that bird went through.

I watched part of the Great Waldo Pepper the other night and saw the part
where Redford's buddy was caught in a crashed plane and he couldn't get him
out.  He needed help to lift the plane, but all the people had rushed over
to just gawk and wouldn't help him.  Instead someone flicked a cigarette and
set the poor guy on fire.  I've never understood gawkers.  If someone (man
or bird) needs help - then help - or at the very least get out of the way.

Kitty