Re: stinky pear?

> I have too very large Bradford Pears next to my house and they don't
> stink at all!  Hmm- we also had a couple of pear trees in the yard
> growing up and they also didn't stink.  Maybe it's one of those things
> that some people smell and others don't?

I suppose this could be part of the naming convention too.  When I talk
about Bradford pears I really mean Pyrus calleryana 'Bradford', or the
Bradford callery pear.

In my experience, this cultivar really does stink.  Others like 'Aristocrat'
(Pyrus calleryana 'Aristocrat') don't smell too good to me, but it's
quite possible that some cultivars don't smell bad.

So I blame the confusion on the nursery industry calling every Pyrus
calleryana cultivar a Bradford pear.  :)