Re: Ivory-Billed Woodpecker Found!

That's what we told him, Theresa, but he has sent us an article from a local
source that says they are looking for nest sites.  They drum to attract mates,
and if they find a space that sounds hollow, they make a hole for a nest.  The
spaces inside the walls are not large enough for their nests - need to be six
inches or more deep - so they move on to another hollow-sounding space.
This is partly a result of urban sprawl - suitable dead trees have been
removed.  My son says the recommended remedy is to build a suitable
birdhouse for the fickers.

In a message dated 04/28/2005 11:32:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tchessie@comcast.net writes:
I'd be wondering what is in his walls that the flickers are after!! Some
sort of bug I suspect.