Re: Celebrate!

Oh I have natives and also Mediterranean plants which like this climate.  TX
star hibiscus, leatherleaf mahonia, purple coneflowers, TX bluebonnets of
course, Mexican heather, the Wild Thing salvias are West TX natives,
blackhaw & arrowwood viburnums and so on.  My weakness for things Med.
encompass the rosemary shrubs, lavenders, thyme and such.  The little olive
tree I planted in Feb . has new growth on it BTW.   Don't know where the
artemisia Powis Castle originates from but it thrives here.   Some natives
need sandier soil than I can muster.  The big herb bed w/ all the xeriscape
stuff had to be dug down 18" - half the clay removed and replaced w/ lava
sand and greensand then all mixed together w/ some compost before it was
suitable.  That's a lot of work when all you're using is a shovel and a
garden fork.  Can't manage that w/ the entire yard.  And daylilies seem to
enjoy the clay which is a blessing.

> I am surprised you are not into more native type plants Pam.... they get
> shabby with the weather, but always spring back to normal later.
> Donna

Pam Evans
Kemp TX
zone 8A