Re: decimation

How horrible! Whatever they are (were) they obviously didn't go hungry. I would assume you have never planted lilies in the spot where the pots were overwintered.
zone 7
West TN
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 9:29 AM
Subject: [CHAT] decimation

Those little varmints had a huge feast on my containered lilies this winter. I had about 30 containers of lily bulbs huddled with other plants in a bed in front of my front porch this winter. I had never used this spot for overwintering before. Previously I had only done this in the back yard. But when I'd done lilies before, they were not touched. This year they (mice? voles?) nailed almost every one. And why is it they eat only the very base of the bulb? Is that the only tasty part? Each pot was full of scattered scales. Actually some were empty, but it looked like they'd taken the bulb to another pot so they could party with their friends.

Other interesesting observations. They did not touch Lililum 'Black Beauty' at all. Wonder why? And they didn't seem particularly fond of L. 'My Fair Lady', though they did try a few. Both of those are crosses of two types of lilies. They devoured straight Asiatics and trumpets, but didn't seem interested in crosses. Coincidence? They even tried the Colchicum (I hope they died a horrible, painful death!) And, strangely to me, they devoured the 3 pots of Russian Stonecrop, Sedum kamtschaticum. They nailed one pot of Ornithogalum magnum, but the other 6 pots were untouched.

Oh well, I've now started to uncover the pots in the backyard and so far have found no damage, but maybe I should wait until done b4 saying anything.

neIN, Zone 5