To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:50 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Iraq

hope Kitty answers this on list....

Donna

--- Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com> wrote:

What kind of books does Sam like Kitty?

> From my sister, re my nephew...
>
> Well...let me tell ya' some of the stuff going on
over there.  If you
> remember when Sam was over there in 2003-04,
communications were often
> shut
> down when any Americans died or were severely
wounded.  Still happening
> that
> way which is why Sam has only called twice since
he's been there.  Every
> time he tries to call, the system gets put on hold
(including Internet
> access).
>
> On top of that, there are 2 phone systems in his
camp.  The AT&T phones
> with
> cards that can be replenished are about a 10-15
minute walk from Sam's
> place.  When your day starts at 5 am and ends @ 10
or 11 pm, that 1/2 hour
> walk is unbearable. So Sam uses the other phones.
A card costs $20.00
> which
> should be good for an hour & 40 minutes.
Unfortunately, using these cards
> (non-renewable) takes 15-20 minutes just getting
the connection.

> Any way, Sam is suffering survivor's guilt right
now.  He's back on patrol
> instead of being a radio operator (how did I
know...).  He was in the 2nd
> squad but was replaced when he didn't leave with
everyone else.[because of
> his broken hand]   Now that he's in Iraq, he's
been placed in the 3rd
> squad.
> 2nd squad was hit by an IED last Thursday.  The
team leader took shrapnel
> his knee and broke his arm.  The driver (who took
Sam's place) lost one
> leg
> but they're still hoping to save the other one.
>
> Sam is devastated to say the least.  He knows it's
not his fault - even
> his
> Sgt told him that.  However, as he said, his brain
can't always rule his
> gut
> and he feels guilty.
>
> Since communications are down so often, Sam has
started reading again and
> watching DVDs.  If you're not too worried about
being forward at work, see
> if anyone has books or movies they'd be willing to
send to Sam.  After
> all,
> this IS Iraqi Liberation Week according to Ken
Mehlman, et al.

> Sam gets one meal a day:  dinner.  They leave too
early in the am to get
> breakfast.  Lunch is usually local food.  Sam is
among the guys who won't
> eat local food.  I don't know if he's heard too
many Viet Nam stories
> about
> ground glass in the Coke or if he doesn't want to
risk Montezuma's
> revenge.
> Then again, he could just relish being stubborn
and not giving anything to
> the people of Iraq.
>
> They get in late, get dinner, and go to bed.  Hell
of a life.

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX