To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 12:20 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Weekend events

Ah, spring iz sprung, as they say. We had clouds and the ever-present wind
this weekend, but it could have been worse, as I'm reading about you folks
on the list having floods and tornados and drought.
My friend and I went hiking Saturday morning and surprised a couple of
coyotes. Two of our dogs were off-leash and one of them was chasing my
Trixie - we yelled at the top of our lungs and then it took off. Kind of
scary actually, although Trix is a rottweiler she's young, and fairly small
for her breed. Then my friend's idiot dog took off after the coyote, he came
back safe and sound though. My friend got some good pictures of them
watching us after that, I'll try and remember to put them up on Yahoo.
My order from High Country Gardens showed up Saturday morning too so I spent
a while putting those in the ground. Lots of nice penstemons and a couple
more salvia. I ordered zauschneria again but this time I decided to try z.
arizonica, not z.californica, we'll see if it makes a difference next
winter. I haven't pulled up the z.californica yet since the literature makes
me think it might still be alive under the dead foliage...I did see the
faintest thread of green in one spot, but no other signs of life. I'm
expecting it's dead but you never know. The hummingbirds were pretty unhappy
with me, they were trying to get to the salvia greggii. Not much else
blooming yet; the daffodils are almost completely gone, my few species
tulips are blooming and a couple iris. Oh and the lilacs, and of course some
wildflowers. Everything else is in bud.
I also planted the tomatoes. I did not take my own advice. Last summer I
decided I would only plant 5 tomatoes. However...when I sowed seeds I
decided on 15 plants, down from my usual 20. (I swear, I am cutting down on
almost everything else. Really.) And in rummaging around the cupboards I
realized that while I canned lots of cut tomatoes last year I am out of
sauce. So, I rationalize to myself, I need to make sauce so this is good.
I'm growing fresh-eating types Black Plum, Persimmon, Porter's Pride, Tiger
Stripe, and Ugly; and paste tomatoes Classica, Saucy, Super Roma, and San
Marzano. Last year the blossom-end rot was so bad I lost probably 75% of the
fruit, I'll be reviewing all the sources again this year to see if I can't
figure out why the calcium thing is so out of whack in my garden. I never
did do the soil test but there's probably still time.
And I reseeded some peppers using the saltpetre trick IslandJim mentioned.
It's very late to be starting pepper seed but what the heck, I'd like to
know if it works, and since only about 3/4 of mine sprouted I won't have too
too many. Unlike most veggies they're pretty forgiving about being left on
the plant for a long time, and if I get overwhelmed they can wait.
I really am running late on much of the veggie garden, either the weather
has been bad or I have commitments elsewhere on a weekend day. This Sunday
we were at my sister's so no gardening got done then. And my patio plants
really need to come out of the greenhouse, but first I need to clean up the
patio and fix the watering. Well...at least with daylight savings I can do
some things after work.