Re: Coyote pix

Most interesting, Cyndi.  I've always loved their huge ears.

Good article in Sunday's Washington Post mag about coyotes, who have
made it into our area.  Expert who tracks and observes them says best
thing to do is put  your hands above your head to make you look as
large as possible and make as much noise as poss. to scare them away.
 Can full of nails is good - something like that.  He says they
always run.  Says it's a good plan to teach them who the dominant
critter is - and they will learn that and stay away from you.  Not a
good plan to feed or encourage them to be friendly as they are
predators and it's best they do not associate humans with food.

Also said their diet is mostly mice, rats, squirrels, rabbits and
small rodents with a huge number of grasshoppers as well as berries
and other wild type fruit.  They have been known to eat larger prey,
but mostly when they find it already killed - they will take cats and
small dogs - anything smallish, which is why it's not a good plan for
small children to play unaccompanied if there are a lot of them
about, nor to let small pets outside on their own.   They will also
take fawns if they can find small ones.

Thrust of the article was that they do more good than harm since they
help keep the rodent population down as well as the deer population
by taking fawns.  People need to learn to coexist with them but seem
to have a hard time dealing with allowing another predator (other
than humans) in the same area.  Their calls are mostly territorial -
letting other coyotes know they are there and to stay away.

I have not heard any here tho' they are supposedly only a 4 miles
away from me.  But, we've had fox ever since we moved here 30 years
ago and the last few years, one has turned up that's brindle color
with red head and tail...wonder if it's some sort of coyote mix?  Odd
looking for a fox.

From your pix, they look like tall, larger foxes to me....of course,
they are related:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs

<cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
> I posted a couple pictures of the coyotes we ran into on Saturday.
The big