Re: tax help - commercial names

> Can anyone help me out with a website that might list commercial plant
> names?
> For example, there is a new Clematis out called Clematis Crystal Fountain
> (TM).  That is a commercial name, not the actual cultivar name, which is
> Clematis 'Fairy Blue'.  Commercial names aren't allowed to use quote marks.
> Like Rosa Knock Out is really Rosa 'Radrazz'
>
> But of course most things we read have not been scrutinized for taxonomical
> correctness.  So how do I know if I'm dealing with a commercial or cultivar
> name?  So far, my best reference is the RHS Plantfinder 2005-6, but not
> everything is in there and the print is so tiny,  and they listed R.
> Knockout's real name as R. 'Daddler' - where'd that come from?
>
> Anyway, does anyone have an easier source I can use?

Well, there's always the US Patent and Trademark Office.

   http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=s3sr49.1.1

But it's not very useful for non-unique names like Knock Out [TM] and it
doesn't turn up Crystal Fountain, but it does find others like Cardinal
Candy viburnum.

When I have a name I usually search the RHS database (also at

   http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp

) or do a Google search.

The tricky thing is that a trademark can be created by just about anyone,
so there's no requirement for it to be registered in a central location.
Those are registered trademarks (the little R in a circle symbol).

I know, that doesn't help.  :)

Chris