From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Marge Talt
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2006 3:57 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] epis and Jeffersonia and Glaucidium

Late on this thread as usual, but I have been enjoying my epis this year as
I've been down in the woodland garden and caught most of them while in bloom
BUT did not have sense enough to take camera down to get pix while they were
at the height of bloom...yet again.  I've
got:

Epimedium brachyrrhizum
Epimedium cantabridgensis
Epimedium diphyllum - large leaf form
Epimedium epsteinii
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lavender Lady'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lilafee'.....this really is a lovely child; highly
recommend it.
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Orion'
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Silver Queen'
Epimedium x  'Kaguyahime'.....this was given me by a UK pal; it is tiny but
the foliage and flowers are fabulous - well worth looking out for.
Epimedium x rubrum
Epimedium x setosum
Epimedium versicolor
Epimedium x versicolor 'Sulphureum'
Epimedium x youngianum 'Azusa'
Epimedium youngianum niveum

All seem to be doing fine; some are doing a bit too fine as they're covering
more territory than I want them to:-)  Got several from Daryl in '03 and I
am finally beginning to recognize them and attach their names to them - will
take some time before I can look at these plants and say this is X without
scratching around for the label I buried next to it:-)  My problem with
Epimediums is that they're addictive - so many and so little time and not
enough $$:-)

I'd assumed that Daryl sent his plants later because of his zone - they were
later coming on.  Kitty, did he say that they should be dug in June in all
climate zones?

I also grow Jeffersonia diphylla and if I'm quick enough I get to see the
flowers - they're as brief as bloodroot but the plant is well worth growing
for the foliage.  Have a slew of Jeffersonia dubia that I grew from seed;
some flowered this spring and I badly need to dig them up and pot them as
they're crowded in a seedbed I made for them too long ago.  Does anybody
know when the best time to dig these little darlings would be?  Same with
Glaucidium palmatum - I have about 4 that have survived from several years
of trying to grow them from seed - one is now blooming and they're mashed in
behind some hellebores and badly need more space.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs