RE: Lady Chatsworth - Once Again....

I guess pregnancy is about the same no matter what kind of "animal" you are!
LOL!!!  Well, at least now you know why she's grumpy.  I'll bet she has more
eggs to be laid!  Her Mr. is wise to give her space.  I'm sure once her
hormones even out, he'll get to be closer to her.  From what I've observed
around here from our Canadian Goose population, the Mr. guards the nest when
"momma" goose is out getting food.  He also stays very close most of the
time to keep anyone from getting too close to "momma" or the eggs/chicks.
The two of them raise the hatchlings until they are large enough to go out
on their own.

At Bethany where mom is living, a goose laid her clutch of eggs on a small
island in a pond behind momma's building.  We've been watching her when we
take walks there.  Last week, we went behind the building and she was
sitting on the nest.  There were a couple of egg shells about and I worried
a predator had gotten into her clutch.  Her wing feathers ruffled and out
popped a tiny little gosling head!  Mom got a real kick out of that!  We'll
have to check on her again this week.

On the other side of the building was another goose on a nest, but much
closer to the walkway (though still behind the walk railing.)  As we
strolled by her, she gave out a sharp hiss and ruffled her feathers.  She,
however, had no hatched eggs as of yet.  We'll check on her too.

There is a mallard family in one of the ponds there, so we are also looking
forward to seeing a duckling family parade through the facility grounds
sometime soon, too.  (We haven't seen where there nest is yet.)

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)