Re: More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

Cathy, you are a marvel of tact.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] More demons of ignorance, arrogance, and darkness

Apropos of this thread.... I volunteered to help clean up the median strips on the street that leads into Quincy from the bridge across the Mississippi from Missouri. They had received many complaints about how "weedy" it was. It had been planted in native prairie plants using state beautification money. Yes, there were some weeds (dandelion, burdock, etc) but the majority of the prairie plants - tons of prairie dropseed, echinacea, rudbeckia, coreopsis, etc had great potential, if people just have patience. I persuaded the city planner to give it another year and observe the plants and layout, and if there were still complaints, till some in the middle of the bed and plant something that might get the complainers off her back, preserving the rest. Also suggested that the complainers be invited to come out and contribute on the next "work day"!

Cathy, west central IL, z5b