From: Chris Petersen <chris@widom-assoc.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:10:45
Subject: [CHAT] Nor'easter

We are under a coastal flood warning from 7PM until 1AM Monday morning. Due
to the higher than average tide we would have had tonight, the extra water
and wind will make the tide higher. The surge during this time is forecast
to rise 3.5 to 4.5 feet. This would produce serious widespread coastal
flooding approaching the December 1992 Nor'easter. We had to evacuate during
that flood, but since we had to build our house 12' above mean high water,
it was high enough that no water came inside.  The house we own next door
was built much earlier and had major flooding in the basement. The furnace
is raised up, but only a couple of feet. I hope that the forecasts are off
as I really don't want to deal with a flood again! Last time much of the
garden was under water for a week. Our driveway was a lake!  When it
receded, we found belongings from our flooded out neighbors deposited in our

We are fortunate to live on a protected bay and we have a sandbar off our
shore that helps shield us from the worst surges.  Also, we set our house
back farther than most other houses and we have trees in our yard before the
beach begins.  Even so, water and tides are very powerful and there is
really NO protection from the forces of nature! I wish the high tide was
earlier so that we could see what we will be dealing with!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York
Region 4    Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)
Daylily Events: http://www.widom-assoc.com/flowers/index.html