Re: Progress report

Jim- I ate a fabulous honey mango yesterday that I actually got from the grocery store. Ymmm. My lemon and mineola continue to bloom like crazy. Tomatos, peppers, cilantro, radishes, edamame, and lettuce are all growing well. I cut more off of the damaged jade plant- kept cutting this time until the stem looked green and healthy. We'll see how that works.

james singer wrote:
Vegetables. Just harvested the fourth mess of collard greens, the third mess of choi sum, and the second mess of poblano peppers [four]. Don't know how much longer these collards will continue to produce. Right now, the stems are about 6 inches tall with three-four small leaves on top. To continue much longer, they'll probably have to defy gravity. With the choi sum, you have to cut the whole plant, so this will be the last harvest until I plant more--but not sure where I can do that, so this may be the last for awhile.

Herbs. We have large pots of rosemary, basil [Italian], dill, spearmint, and Jamaican mint scattered around the yard, and cuttings of basil, rosemary, and spearmint rooting in water in the kitchen. We were unsuccessful in finding African basil plants the last few years, so we're going to try to keep a supply of the Italian variety going indoors through the summer. We've already dried quite a bit of mint [mint is almost a staple in Turkish cooking], basil, and rosemary--as well as the Turkish peppers and bay leaves.

Fruits. Mangos may be iffy this year. On the first bloom, the oldest tree appears to have set four fruit [this tree usually produces about 50]; the other two trees had no set that I can see from that bloom. From the second bloom, it looks like the oldest tree may be back to expectations, but it's too early to tell about the other two. I've begun to see gumdrop-size baby fruit on the avocado, but no idea how many; it just finished blooming. Meyer lemon has several walnut sized fruits, but it's still blooming. Tangelo is a mass of blooms--you can smell it 50 feet away--and that good, because we need a big crop for next winter's juice supply [it takes 18-20 fruits to yield a 1/2 gallon of juice].

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10